The International Organization for Migration (IOM) as the coordinator of the EMN in Slovakia has launched the registration for 8th EMN Educational Seminar on Migration: "Migration in a Multilateral World". It will take place online as a virtual studio from 24 to 26 August 2021.
Professionals from the state and public administration, non-profit sector, research institutions and academia who deal with or are interested in the topics related to migration and international protection are encouraged to register. The seminar is open to participants based in Slovakia and participants coming from abroad, mainly nominated by other EMN National Contact Points for other European countries.
Topics of this year’s seminar:
• Multilateralism and the United Nations
• Labour migration and development nexus
• Legal migration pathways and the concept of waitinghood
• Slovak migration policies
Among the lecturers there will be experts from Greece, Libya the Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, the USA and other countries. In their presentations they will focus on the relations between migration and multilateralism in the context of policies and field work. Effect of international cooperation on migrants and refugees in transiting or destination countries will be discussed. We will also reflect on how migrants and refugees impact a country’s economy.
Among lecturers are, for example:
• Federico Soda | Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Libya
• Georgette Gagnon | United Nations Assistant Secretary-General - Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya, United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL)
• Gianluca Rocco | Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Greece
• Jan Orlovsky | Director of Migration Office, Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic
• Kate Hooper | Policy Analyst, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), USA
• Kari Anne Klovholt Drangsland | Human geographer & Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre for Women’s and Gender Research (SKOK), University of Bergen, Norway
• Madeline Holland | co-CEO, Talent Beyond Boundaries, USA
• Melissa Siegel | Head of Migration Studies and Head of the Migration and Development Research Section at the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance and UNU-MERIT, The Netherlands
• Michael Newson | Senior Labour Mobility and Human Development Specialist, IOM Regional Office for South-Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Austria
• Miroslava Vozaryova | Director of Legal Department, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic
• Pedro de Vasconcelos | Manager of Financing Facility for Remittances, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Italy
• Zuzana Vatralova | Head of Office, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Slovakia
The English and Slovak interpreting will be provided during the seminar's day programme. The seminar will be accompanied by evening programme – documentary film screening open to public.
More information on the seminar and its programme is available on the website www.emnseminar.sk which is being regularly updated.
You can register until 10 August 2021 here.